Author Topic: Defense Momiji suggestions  (Read 1855 times)

Offline KuroShinki

• A Member group
  • Shinki wants to pat your head :3
    • View Profile
Defense Momiji suggestions
« on: April 28, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »
I created this topic because I thought it was not related to the other, but feel free to delete if you think otherwise.

Anyway, my Defense Momiji is now at lv 42, and she can't tank at all. It doesn't help that she has poor ATK and S.DEF.

I don't want to play PvP or anything (and for what I gathered Shoddy doesn't let you use your save), but I would like to see her die less. Right now my Attack Medicine can tank way more then her.

What I meant to ask was: does she becomes better? Because I look at what she's going to learn and...it seems kinda bad. I have revenge, but unless is supereffective, it doesn't damage at all.

My favorite videogame is Final Fantasy X (not the remastered garbage).
My favourite anime/manga is Gintama.
My favourite band is Foreground Eclipse
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLMpzqHXnvwXvVDUBB7EPyQ
Overwatch (PC): KuroShinki

Offline SoulfulLex

• A Member group
  • Self-Proclaimed Touhoumon Nerd
    • View Profile
    • RMXP Eye Candy
Re: Defense Momiji suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 01:05:48 PM »
In my opinion, unless you're using TMs or are near the Move Relearner (I'm assuming you're playing Purple), she doesn't have too many options. She'll get Tailwind in another two levels, but without the Relearner she'll be getting her strongest STAB moves rather late (On the Steel side, your only other options are Blade Flash, provided that you didn't delete it yet, and Cut...). It also depends on her Ability (one of which depends on Weather, another that could be useful if you make use of Rest) as well as her Nature.

You could always reset EVs, I suppose, but you may be better off with regular Momiji (or DKeine if you want a defensive Beast Type. At least that gets Intimidate).

Offline Chaos_lord

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:21:19 PM »
Non-expert just having a look over the stats in the wiki:

• Check your nature and IV's if possible, It's possible the Momiji is bad and the Medicine is good (AMedicine has comparable special bulk, possibly enough that with natures and IV's/EV's it could come out better on that front). In particular the base S.def of both mons are the same so compare the two, it could be a hint that the Momiji is bad on that side.
  • Is Momiji attracting fire coverage? Double weaknesses are not fun. It also has less resists in general which is unhelpful.
  • Beast inherited rock's old special defense boost in sand which combined with potential sand veil will help alot. Give it a Suika with sand stream as a partner if you can.

As for moves it gets tailwind at 44, which lets it fix its attack and speed and try to sweep which could work very well if you can get it in on something it can tank. I'm not seeing much else though.

Offline KuroShinki

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »
Thank you both for your answers.

In my opinion, unless you're using TMs or are near the Move Relearner (I'm assuming you're playing Purple), she doesn't have too many options. She'll get Tailwind in another two levels, but without the Relearner she'll be getting her strongest STAB moves rather late (On the Steel side, your only other options are Blade Flash, provided that you didn't delete it yet, and Cut...). It also depends on her Ability (one of which depends on Weather, another that could be useful if you make use of Rest) as well as her Nature.

You could always reset EVs, I suppose, but you may be better off with regular Momiji (or DKeine if you want a defensive Beast Type. At least that gets Intimidate).

I play purple, yes. In my opinion the only non-broken Touhoumon game I've tried (I have yet to try Unnamed, but it has those songs ugh). I don't pay attention to nature and IV/EV, since it never was a problem in any Pokèmon or Puppet play. About moves, I'm right before the fight against rival after the Weather Institute battle, so I don't have the access yet.

Non-expert just having a look over the stats in the wiki:

• Check your nature and IV's if possible, It's possible the Momiji is bad and the Medicine is good (AMedicine has comparable special bulk, possibly enough that with natures and IV's/EV's it could come out better on that front). In particular the base S.def of both mons are the same so compare the two, it could be a hint that the Momiji is bad on that side.
  • Is Momiji attracting fire coverage? Double weaknesses are not fun. It also has less resists in general which is unhelpful.
  • Beast inherited rock's old special defense boost in sand which combined with potential sand veil will help alot. Give it a Suika with sand stream as a partner if you can.

As for moves it gets tailwind at 44, which lets it fix its attack and speed and try to sweep which could work very well if you can get it in on something it can tank. I'm not seeing much else though.

Again, EV/IV and Nature are not my focus. If it helps, my AMedicine has 75 DEF and 91 SPDEF, while DMomiji has 105 DEF and 45 SPDEF. Both are at LV 42.

She can takes a few hits (if they are physical, special just destroy her), but her poor attacks doesn't let me to counter properly. I guess I can switch her when I build my final team, since right now I'm just beating the game. And I never used her against fire, because that 4x damage is a OHKO every time.

I wished there was a move that would let her tank the next attack (like, using her shield to actually protect herself, lowering damage) and then counter. But I guess in Pokèmon that would be a little OP.

Again, thanks for your answers. I guess I'll stick with her till before the Elite 4 and make a decision then. I don't really want to get rid of her since she was my 2nd best against Norman's AdYukari (That was an intense fight ^_^).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:50:35 PM by QwaserKuro »

Offline Chaos_lord

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 04:25:16 PM »
If you want her to up her defense she gets iron defense from the re-learner, which halves physical damage taken as long as she's out(except from crits), that and some potions will let her set up with X-attacks or tailwind. Nothing to boost her S.def except sandstorm though and something else needs to set it up for her.

Speaking of S.def that S.def isn't just low for a DMomiji, it's impossible and almost certainly a bug. Minimum S.def for a level 42 base 90 mon is 72 (according to smogon calculator, IV = 0, EV = 0, negative nature) and yours is well below that. I'd contact Agastya about it, send him a screen of Momiji's stat screen and see if he can have it fixed.

Offline KuroShinki

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 04:54:03 PM »
If you want her to up her defense she gets iron defense from the re-learner, which halves physical damage taken as long as she's out(except from crits), that and some potions will let her set up with X-attacks or tailwind. Nothing to boost her S.def except sandstorm though and something else needs to set it up for her.

Speaking of S.def that S.def isn't just low for a DMomiji, it's impossible and almost certainly a bug. Minimum S.def for a level 42 base 90 mon is 72 (according to smogon calculator, IV = 0, EV = 0, negative nature) and yours is well below that. I'd contact Agastya about it, send him a screen of Momiji's stat screen and see if he can have it fixed.

I think it may be related to my hacking things for adding shards before I could really get them instead of a bug. I guess that's what I get for hacking ^_^

EDIT: I uhhh...I'm dumb. It's 92 SDEF, not 45. Not a bug, just me reporting stats wrong. Well, that what screens are for I guess.

Offline Agastya

• Administrator
  • A Member group
    • View Profile
    • oh no its a website
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
Mid-lategame is actually a really bad stretch for DMomi. Both Aqua and Magma can hit her on weaknesses, there's a Water gym, and it's a nightmare to train on ocean routes.

As suggested Sand Stream will be very helpful for her, though.
[6:30:51] DoctorShanks: Is Star Sapphire actually good or do people just use her because she's cute? Or both?
[6:30:55] Irisorchid: both
[6:30:57] &Agastya: both
[6:30:59] PrinnyAce: BOTH

Offline KuroShinki

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:49:42 PM »
Mid-lategame is actually a really bad stretch for DMomi. Both Aqua and Magma can hit her on weaknesses, there's a Water gym, and it's a nightmare to train on ocean routes.

As suggested Sand Stream will be very helpful for her, though.

I switched her for AMokou as soon as I went in the Magma Hideout. Now I'm training her with EXP share while I'm going on with the game (I'm at Mossdeep, my team levels varies from 54 to 56, while AMokou is still 43).

And AMurasa is a freakin beast :D I will probably add her to my favorite Touhou characters.

And too bad Dark Alice (really badass looking :p) doesn't learn any Dark move by leveling up or with move tutor. I wasn't much fun of Alice untill I read a doujinshi where she had long hair. Really sexy (please don't take me for a weird).