Author Topic: The Great Shoddy Server Donation Drive  (Read 5858 times)

Offline EXSariel

• AKA The Jamminstein (as Agastya puts it)
  • Administrator
  • A Member group
    • View Profile
The Great Shoddy Server Donation Drive
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »
As you may have noticed, the shoddy server has been on and off very frequently. This is because the machine it is hosted on is reaching the end of it's life. I haven't yet determined what could be the problem and if I could, I might be able to skimp by on minimal costs and solve the problem myself, but it would be both easier and more beneficial to just replace the whole thing and start from scratch. The machine upgrade will improve performance globally and things like battles and the find function will not hang and go by slightly faster. Most importantly, uptime will be dramatically increased as Shoddy will not be on a machine that's about to hit the end of it's lifespan. Disconnections may still happen in the future as my internet isn't of the highest quality, but there will be significantly less of them occuring due to the machine just going kaput.

This is what components the new machine will have, roughly. They are, of course, subject to change in the future, depending on various factors. I am open to suggestions for component replacements and I may shop around again when I have enough money to actually get what I need. I'm mainly looking for longevity; the actual server software I host on this machine, which includes shoddy and a few other applications, don't use a whole lot of CPU, and of course, it being a server machine, things like graphics, audio, and other multimedia stuff is unnecessary. A combination of a steady CPU with a decent amount of RAM (I made sure I got an extra large amount for what I'm running on the off chance there's a leak) should be enough to keep the software running nice and smooth, and the case and power supply will keep the hardware cool and running in good condition.

So here's the biggest problem; I'm poor. I have no money. Any money I want needs to go to more important things, like food and shelter, and of course the internet to keep this whole show running. Preferably, I would like a commercially hosted machine to host shoddy and everything else on, but that is such an extreme amount of money that I would never be able to sustain, it is precisely the reason why I've hosted the server in my own home. I've done my part, made my maintenance, now is the time to upgrade and get better. This is where the rest of you come in. If thirty people donated ten bucks towards this goal, I would immediately be done and ordering the parts right now. And that would be more than what I would need at the moment; As you can see from the image, sales right now push the price below $250. If I end up going over, I'll probably pocket the difference, but I will be checking the donated amount twice a day and updating this topic with the current donated amount so you guys will always know what kind of progress we're seeing.

If you want to feel special, I can dole out some rewards for people who donate money towards this cause. Include your username together with any donation of $5 or more and I'll set your forum rank to something that will reflect your donation status. (Something like "Shoddy Server Donor") Donors of $10 or more can include a short message to use as an entirely custom rank altogether. Note that your forum rank is different from your custom message or anything like that, and it will also not affect any forum privileges that you have (provided I'm good at SMF). I haven't thought about rewards for higher amounts but let me tell you, the more money you send, the more grateful I will be. Maybe later on down the line I'll think of something interesting or fun.

I can't think of anything else to post here for the time being but if I've forgotten something, then please do tell me.

You can donate towards the cause here.

I'll post donation drive updates later when some progress has gotten going. Remember; any little bit helps.

Current Donation Amount: $263.83! All done! I hate donation fees...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:08:01 AM by EXSariel »
I'm not here.

Offline DerxwnaKapsyla

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Administrator
  • A Member group
  • What is development and how do I game
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Shoddy Server Donation Drive
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:28:32 PM »
I don't have much to offer, most of my money being dire emergency funds more-or-less, but the server going down affects me and the community in several ways, so I figured the absolute least I could do was send in 10 dollars. Hopefully you get a new sever up soon!
I do the 2humons in RMXP

Offline ZXNova

• A Member group
  • Life is an explosion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:54:59 AM »
I've sent $10, I'm glad I had money to donate

Offline EXSariel

• Administrator
  • A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 02:05:19 AM »

I've had to replace a couple things due to a shortage of stock or a sale ending. The result is that, as of right now, we are just under twenty dollars shy of our goal (though I would need a little more than that due to donation fees, accursed paypal has taken about $10 in them). I wasn't expecting to be done with the drive so soon, but if two more people donated ten dollars, or if five people donated just five, then we might be able to squeeze by. Thank you, all of you, for your generous donations and thoughtfulness to keep the server alive.
I'm not here.

Offline EXSariel

• Administrator
  • A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 03:08:36 AM »
The drive is over. I've ordered the parts and they'll arrive in about a week or so. Thanks to everyone who contributed and thanks to everyone for your support! I'll keep updating this post with progress on getting and building the new rig.
I'm not here.

Offline ZXNova

• A Member group
  • Life is an explosion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 04:15:31 PM »
Congrats

Offline EXSariel

• Administrator
  • A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:53:40 PM »
http://imgur.com/XA6acG9

The case came in earlier than most of the other parts. The rest should be here either tommorrow or on Monday, at which point I'll start assembling it. The server will be down for a significant amount of time during that. Here's hoping things go over smoothly!
I'm not here.

Zak-something

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 10:14:50 PM »
I'm unable to log in at the moment, is the upgrade going on or is it other stuff?

edit: NVM I figured out the problem.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:51:55 PM by Zak-something »

Offline EXSariel

• Administrator
  • A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
So I made a really stupid mistake and got the wrong PSU... it's a miracle that I've built three difference machines without realizing the importance of the PSU to casing relationship, really.

I'm probably about $30 to $50 behind now as a result. The upgrade will also take much longer but since the current machine has been behaving recently (go figure) I'm not too worried about it right now. But if I want to continue with the upgrade proper, I'm going to need some more money. I'm really, REALLY sorry for this screw up and it's highly unprofessional (not that I ever claimed to be professional) but, well, you live and then you learn. I'll make another post when I've procured enough funds to buy a new PSU, which will be a while since I still have to return this one...
I'm not here.