Author Topic: annoying question about sealing puppets  (Read 5165 times)

Offline chalazae

• A Member group
  • hey
    • View Profile
annoying question about sealing puppets
« on: September 07, 2015, 04:11:21 AM »
i just got into the forest of magic, tried to put a sealing thread on several wild puppets and it failed and said something in japanese that i didn't understand. what's going on? i was able to capture puppets before i got to this area.

Offline Greenmittenz

• A Member group
    • View Profile
Re: annoying question about sealing puppets
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 05:49:40 AM »
Threads have a chance to fail just like pokemon and also helps to weaken them before trying to seal them. Not exactly sure what message your are giving so hard to really diagnose what problem you are having.
Puppet Dance Performance Any% speedrun in 1:42:38 (WR) http://www.twitch.tv/greenmittenz/v/17460931

Offline akatsukisky

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:46:21 AM »
Am having a case of OCD, so I went around Gensokyo collecting any puppet I did not get before the pre-Makai run. What I have found is this:

1) Using the strongest (and purchasable of course) seal, Contract Thread has a great chance of sealing most puppets up to level 40-50 without even having to put its HP in the red area. This means usually one use of the thread can instantly get you the target even at full health.

Past 51 however, even the said Contract Thread does face difficulties. Before I finished the game, I tried getting a level 56 Shinki at the Makai town area. It took me nearly 10 threads even when Shinki's health was on the red line (took me 8). Then later during post-game, I tried getting a Speed Suwako at the Giant Toad pond and that alone took me 10.

2) Certain puppets can help a lot when you are puppet-hunting. One of my main puppet hunters (post-game) was Defense Momiji. Using her ability Indomitable , which prevents 1-hit kills, I was able to grab Kasen and Yukari via said ability and her attack Balancing (wiki name, turns both puppet's HP equal regardless of typing except Nether and Illusion).

3) The safest way possible to grab a puppet is via knocking its HP to 1. This is a bit hard, however (with the exception of any puppet that has OHKO-guard skills such as Indomitable and Fair and Square) so the best is that you knock the opponent's HP to the red line.

Offline chalazae

• A Member group
  • hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 01:56:14 AM »
Thank you guys, didn't know there was more to sealing than just knocking it out while it has the seal on it.

Offline Wrulfang

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 03:11:59 PM »
I noticed the HP reduction being a good increase in chances of sealing.

from what you say, it means that the higher the level, the more difficult to seal is? does the rarity of the puppet affect the % of sealing, or just the level?

Also, I would suspect that inflicting certain status could help. I know TPDP is not pokemon, but If I were a stopped puppet I would find more difficult to get out of the seal thread.

Offline decondelite

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 03:46:22 PM »
From what I experienced, the only thing that ever mattered for capturing a puppet was its level. Maybe the puppet's Cost aswell, but I'm not sure. I have never seen any difference when I weakened them beforehand.

It took me 10 an average of Oath Threads to seal a full HP Shinki, and just the same with a weakened one.

Offline Doesnt

• much sand. wow.
  • A Member group
  • ***************************************************************************************
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
HP doesn't seem to matter in my experience. It's arguably safer for rare puppets too to just seal them from full and then nuke 'em so you don't have to worry about critting.
i accidentally deleted your avatar so have 90 stars instead ~agastya