Author Topic: Is this thing supposed to be this difficult/grindy?  (Read 12948 times)

Offline CrucialTwinz

• A Member group
  • Kappa Science Engineering
    • View Profile
Re: Is this thing supposed to be this difficult/grindy?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 06:47:21 PM »
A Pokemon game when you one shot everything in the story with no challenge is no fun at all. This game did things right, by making the player THINK! and to devise a team/strategy to beat things.

This. This completely. I had more fun with this, and building teams more than I did on anything on any official pokemon game. When you can literally OCC any official game it gets kinda boring.
*insert flavor text here*

Skype, Steam, PSN is all the same: CrucialTwinz
Add me so we can game friends!

Offline Greenmittenz

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 10:18:49 PM »
This game is in no way grindy at all. In every nuzlocke I have done I have had no troubles keeping up on levels even with random starters. The only places you might get caught up on are the first Cirno fight, The first Reimu Fight, Mokou, and Remilia. From then on you will easily be strong enough if you simply fight the trainers you come across and use prismatic candies when needed.

If you really want easy mode though then just follow the speedrun route. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gY00z8H2EPM3Emn5Ws816sChJ8AJplhVbPJ_CyVMjus/edit

The speedrun only grinds Chen to level 11 before Cirno, 27 before mokou (uses 3 rare candies to hit 30), and gets Keine to 30 and Chen to 36 for Remilia. Other then those points there is no extra encounters at all and you will one shot nearly everything in the game.
Puppet Dance Performance Any% speedrun in 1:42:38 (WR) http://www.twitch.tv/greenmittenz/v/17460931

Offline KuroShinki

• A Member group
  • Shinki wants to pat your head :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »
Because Touhou is hard urr durr.

I was in the mood for starting a new Touhoumon play, and noticed this game, then I remember that all Touhoumon games revolves around grinding, and at lv 100 is kinda like Pokèmon, where super-effective one shot everything, leaving little room for strategy. Also there is the thing about Japanese Locale, but I guess that can't be fixed, right? Kinda like Kamidori Alchemy Meister (BTW RPG Fan, that game is good, I highly recomend it ^_^).

Please tell me that this game is different, because I'm really interested, but I don't have time to spent on it, so I want a pleasurable playthrough.

Otherwise, I might just well go back to Touhou Pocket Wars 2nd, but I've done almost everything in that game :(
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:28:43 PM by QwaserKuro »

My favorite videogame is Final Fantasy X (not the remastered garbage).
My favourite anime/manga is Gintama.
My favourite band is Foreground Eclipse
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLMpzqHXnvwXvVDUBB7EPyQ
Overwatch (PC): KuroShinki

Offline Greenmittenz

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 03:54:38 PM »
If you over grind to really high levels it will be easy one shots but otherwise no. Generally if you just fight all the trainers you will end up being a good enough level to where you can easily beat the game without every fight just being a spam 1 shot. Or if you want to make things a bit more challenging don't fight every trainer and be a lower level. Even the speedrun has to utilize bonus experience and a bunch of rare candies to keep up on levels while skipping every optional trainer so you can really pick how difficult you want the game to be for you.
Puppet Dance Performance Any% speedrun in 1:42:38 (WR) http://www.twitch.tv/greenmittenz/v/17460931

Offline KuroShinki

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 04:54:48 PM »
If you over grind to really high levels it will be easy one shots but otherwise no. Generally if you just fight all the trainers you will end up being a good enough level to where you can easily beat the game without every fight just being a spam 1 shot. Or if you want to make things a bit more challenging don't fight every trainer and be a lower level. Even the speedrun has to utilize bonus experience and a bunch of rare candies to keep up on levels while skipping every optional trainer so you can really pick how difficult you want the game to be for you.

I was talking about a 100 lv 100 situation actually ^_^

Offline AngelG No. 55

• A Member group
  • Where's this fun you speak of?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 08:24:20 PM »
Long time no see, Kuro.

You got the wrong idea about TPDP when you read my post, didn't you? Well, it's nowhere near as bad as I made it sound like; the others are actually more accurate, now that I'm playing it again, and recovering from that bad slump last week.

Sure you can grind to 100 like Pokemon, but it's gonna take a very, very long time, because wilds are fairly stingy with XP. Between that and the much higer XP yields from trainer battles, the game discourages hardcore grinding as you were thinking of doing.

Offline Prism

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 12:36:10 AM »
The only times I had to actually grind in this game were when I swapped out some of my members for new ones and had to get them up to speed (like Yuuka, totally worth it tho), and even then it didn't take that long. My goal was to get every puppet, so that functioned as grinding for me since I killed anything I didn't want to catch, and if you're going to be playing around with endgame puppet battling I do recommend doing that, since it saves time in the long run backtracking for puppets and makes it feel less grindy.
This game doesn't coddle you like Pokemon does, and the trainers near the end will be out for blood, so you need to build your team properly and know your weaknesses and resistances. Being overleveled will only help you so much.
That said? I was asleep for most of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Pokemon X. This actually entertained me.

Offline CrucialTwinz

• A Member group
  • Kappa Science Engineering
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 03:54:07 AM »
That said? I was asleep for most of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Pokemon X. This actually entertained me.

New difficulty tier for games. Sleep tier.
*insert flavor text here*

Skype, Steam, PSN is all the same: CrucialTwinz
Add me so we can game friends!

Offline KuroShinki

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 09:57:43 AM »
Long time no see, Kuro.

You got the wrong idea about TPDP when you read my post, didn't you? Well, it's nowhere near as bad as I made it sound like; the others are actually more accurate, now that I'm playing it again, and recovering from that bad slump last week.

Sure you can grind to 100 like Pokemon, but it's gonna take a very, very long time, because wilds are fairly stingy with XP. Between that and the much higer XP yields from trainer battles, the game discourages hardcore grinding as you were thinking of doing.

Glad to hear that :D

There's always a thin line between what is challenge and what is cheating, and I'm glad that here is just a challenge that can be overcome with the mind instead of forcing you to mass grinding (and in a Pokèmon game, if you want to achieve the perfection, it's a pain to do that).

When I talk about cheating, I mean something like what happened yesterday while playing Mass Effect 3: the enemy snipe you with an assault rifle, and they can throw grenades at perfect arcs...that's not challenge, that's frustrating >_<

In the end, I'll give the game a try when I'm free, because my love for Gensokyo is too much to ignore. And I've learned that the best way to see if I like a game, is to actually try it, instead of listening to reviews or opinions.