Author Topic: Attack Murasa  (Read 6024 times)

Offline fgtchmp

• A Member group
    • View Profile
Attack Murasa
« on: July 09, 2013, 08:50:57 PM »
The Captain
[amurasa.png]
Typing: Water/Ghost

Base Stats
HP: 80
Attack: 70
Defense: 115
Speed: 60
SpAtk: 125
Spdef: 70

Abilities: Torrent, Swift Swim

Murasa shows her stuff donning her Captain's Hat and tossing out her previous accessory for a giant Anchor. Bringing with her a great 125 base Special Attack along side an impressive base 115 defense and a solid base 80 HP she is surprisingly bulky for an Attack form. With two great abilities and her great STABS in Water and Ghost to make use of she can really do some damage. Its not all smooth sailing for the captain though as her 70 Special Defense and very low 60 speed leaves her quite vulnerable  to the huge number of Special Attackers, sometimes even being 2hkoed by resisted attacks.

Swift Swim Sweeper

Attack Murasa @ Swimsuit
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 42 HP, 212 Speed, 252 Sp.Atk
Modest Nature

Moveset

~Hydro Pump/Surf
~Shadow Ball
~Ice Beam
~Rain Dance

When Attack Murasa hits the field, its not like her other forms. She's here to hurt Puppets, and she does an amazing job at that. As the name implies, this set seeks to sweep weakened teams in the Rain using the nifty ability that is Swift Swim. With her impressive physical bulk, this is even easier than one would imagine too with resistances to Fire and an immunity to Dark she is capable of setting up her own rain and obliterating the remainder of an opponents team. Once under the rain Attack Murasa reaches 418 Speed, allowing her to outspeed everything up to +Nature base 140s, faster than just about any unboosted Puppet. Not only that but her Hydro Pump nabs a nifty boost allowing her to power through even dedicated special walls with a Swimsuit as she's able to 2hko even Specially Defensive Ruukoto without any Hazards. Shadow Ball hits just about everything Hydro Pump wouldn't while Ice Beam rounds out her coverage moves, allowing her to strike Nature Types for super effective damage.

Bulky Attacker

Attack Murasa @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 244 HP, 12 Speed, 252 Sp.Atk
Modest Nature

Moveset

~Hydro Pump/Surf
~Shadow Ball
~Ice Beam
~Yawn/Confuse Ray/Rain Dance

While the Swift Swim set seeks to clean sweep through weakened teams, this A-Murasa set is more aimed at making use of her great resistances and bulk to deal damage during the early game. Despite her great bulk, its not recommended to switch her in on high powered neutral STABs due to how slow she is as she won't be able to return damage before being knocked out. Once she does get in however the fun begins as your opponent has to switch around her 3 hard hitting attacks. The last moveslot is open to whatever utility you need. Yawn puts their Murasa Counter in a position to either switch out or go to sleep, while Confuse Ray generally hampers all switchins. If being used with a Rain Team and she happens to not be its primary sweeper, she can even set up a Rain Dance once or twice. 12 Speed allows you to Speed Creep other base 60s.

Other Options

There really isn't that much else for A Murasa. There's the possibility of Hydro Cannon + White Herb on the Rain Dance set, however it costs her either her item or sweeping power and Hydro Pump already hits hard enough. Curse is interesting however she is far too slow to pull it off. The lack of recovery is also very problematic. A Rest set with Chesto Berry can be used to give her a second wind as she really gets all the coverage she needs with 3 attacks. A Salac set with Torrent is also viable, however even with a Salac Boost, Attack Murasa is quite slow.

Checks and Counters

Star Sapphire is by far Attack Murasa's best counter. With her immense special bulk, immunity to water, and neutrality to Ice Beam and Shadow Ball there is nothing the captain can do to her while she can freely set up in her face. While not immune to Water, Defense Kaguya also sports incredible special bulk and a 4x resistance to Water while being neutral to her other coverage moves and can hit her hard with Giga Drain. Kaguya can also absorb just about any hit from Attack Murasa, even Ice beam and Shadow Ball, but she must be wary of taking repeated super effective hits on the switch in. While she struggles to take Swimsuit + Rain boosted Hydro Pumps, Ruukuto can easily sponge hits from the bulky set and stall her out. Eirin and her great special bulk could allow her to come in and recover off Attack Murasa's onslaught while stalling out her precious Rain but struggles to do much in return.

Offline joshcja

• A Member group
  • Burn Yo Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Attack Murasa
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
I actually wound up dropping ice beam on most of my A murasa's for destiny bond. Its a pretty nifty trick when you outspeed absolutely everything and can buy a turn to reset rain if your opponent loves to detect stall.

Also, best counter to A murasa imo is nitori, OHKO's with thunder and then abuses your rain QQ

Offline Enoh-polyx

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:04:40 PM »
I definitely agree about dropping Ice beam for Destiny bond. The later can be used to pick unsuspecting threats out, and being faster than more or less everything, she doesn't really have a problem to pull it off. She also has rain dance to stall suspicious targets, just like Joshcja said. You might as well go for an attacking move if you're predicting that your opponent thinks/knows about Destiny bond. And in the end, the only coverage Ice beam provides, is Flying (which most of the time are hit harder by Hydro pump anyway) and Nature, which are hit at least neutrally by her STAB Shadow ball. Destiny bond can also be really fun to use!

TLDR; I agree that Destiny bond is a more useful option than Ice beam, due to Ice beam not providing coverage enough.

Offline Naï

• A Member group
  • In training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »
AMurasa's great, but from my experience she's just way too easy to read. I mean, there hasn't been even a single AMurasa up until now that didn't just Rain Dance on their first turn.

So I just phaze them, as I'd do with any setupper. It doesn't help that AMurasa's probably the most obvious setupper you'd see around.

Not to say she's bad, she rocks and I've had my own team swept by one once she did manage to setup, but the problem is setting up to begin with. Those who play her should also probably try to play smarter and not just hurr durr Rain Dance, too :<

And yeah, DBond is definitely thousand of times better than Ice Beam on a Rain Dance set.

Offline joshcja

• A Member group
  • Burn Yo Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »
AMurasa's great, but from my experience she's just way too easy to read. I mean, there hasn't been even a single AMurasa up until now that didn't just Rain Dance on their first turn.

So I just phaze them, as I'd do with any setupper. It doesn't help that AMurasa's probably the most obvious setupper you'd see around.

Not to say she's bad, she rocks and I've had my own team swept by one once she did manage to setup, but the problem is setting up to begin with. Those who play her should also probably try to play smarter and not just hurr durr Rain Dance, too :<

And yeah, DBond is definitely thousand of times better than Ice Beam on a Rain Dance set.

Implying that rain boosted hydro pumps care about anything not an immunity or D daiyousei
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 05:47:42 PM by joshcja »

Offline Naï

• A Member group
  • In training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:20:28 PM »
Quote from: Josh
rain boosted
Implying Rain is extremely easy to set up once I know you're going to use it on your first turn for sure

Offline joshcja

• A Member group
  • Burn Yo Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 06:07:49 PM »
Quote from: Josh
rain boosted
Implying Rain is extremely easy to set up once I know you're going to use it on your first turn for sure

Bulk, so yes...it kinda is

Offline Naï

• A Member group
  • In training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 06:27:23 PM »
Slow Encores, fast Taunts, crouching tigers, hidden dragons.

Also, phazing on the setup turn. She won't have the easiest time ever getting back in considering you can target her special bulk, which is pretty low considering the Rain Dance sets can't invest too much on HP.

Offline joshcja

• A Member group
  • Burn Yo Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »
Slow Encores, fast Taunts, crouching tigers, hidden dragons.

Also, phazing on the setup turn. She won't have the easiest time ever getting back in considering you can target her special bulk, which is pretty low considering the Rain Dance sets can't invest too much on HP.

"If you try to set up on my phaser/encore locker/taunt user that resists hydro pump I can phase/taunt/encore you!"

Why the hell would murasa even swap in on that kind of thing.

Offline Naï

• A Member group
  • In training
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 06:41:52 PM »
Other people's AMurasas love switching into my DMokou for some reason.