4 (80%)
Nay.
0 (0%)
Hold off for a bit.
0 (0%)
Make a mini-project first.
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: I might be making a fangame. Maybe.  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Fatih

• A Member group
  • You won't pass! For their sake, I will prevail!!
    • View Profile
    • The Mountain of Fatih (CURRENTLY DOWN)
I might be making a fangame. Maybe.
« on: May 16, 2016, 10:39:50 PM »
I know making a fangame will be a thick and heavy process.

I have a story (That i think is interesting if i say so myself), and I have been thinking in making it in RPGXP.

But what do I have to take into consideration?

Story is something I can always do, and graphics are always available. Time is always an issue, so I won't even touch on that. I believe Derx's engine has all the stats needed for 1.8, so that as well is not a problem.

The motivation for this is the lack of any mods or fangames with, y'know, a story. WL and AW is out of the park, and most of the other hacks are just for the most part vanilla. Of course though, I am excluding Derx's, because F&P is just fantastic.

Are there any issues I need to keep in mind? If anything, I definitely will not say anything afterwards or release anything until I have made any progress. I won't be starting this "project" soon, but I'd like to hear your inputs. Would this community be able to aid me with game metadata as well? Thanks.

Offline SoulfulLex

• A Member group
  • Self-Proclaimed Touhoumon Nerd
    • View Profile
    • RMXP Eye Candy
Re: I might be making a fangame. Maybe.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 03:44:48 PM »
I think everything said here and here, even though they apply to ROM Hacks, also applies here.

As someone who's also worked with RPG Maker XP (as well as someone who initially used Derx's Touhoumon Essentials as a base until I realized I needed to cut out unnecessary resources and make it strictly a Touhoumon game and not just have the original Pokemon sit in a corner to pretend that they don't exist), I've learned quite a bit from working on my current project.

• You'll want to find something that makes the game stand out. What makes it unique besides being a Touhoumon 1.8 game? Are there any new elements you want to throw in?
  • Another thing to consider is the difficulty curve. In what way is the game challenging? You don't want to make something as absurd as Dark Rising.
  • How long is the game going to be? Is there a post-game or an extra challenge at the end? What will want to make the player come back or replay the game when it's over? (Kinda cuts into #1)
  • (This point I've made in a previous thread) Before you continue to go ahead on working on the game, ask yourself how much work you're prepared to do in the event you don't get the people you need (scripting isn't easy) and make sure you have the whole story outlined from start to finish and not a cluster of plots just thrown together like Another World (the original Gensokyo Scenario was never finished).
  • Most important: Have fun making the game. If it stops being fun to work on or play, come back to it later or figure out why it wasn't fun for you and resolve it. It's alright if you never come back to it (unless it really bothers you). For me, Gaiden was an experiment, so I'm not profoundly bothered that I stopped working on it.
  • 2nd most important: Don't be afraid to accept criticism or hear out people that may nitpick (read: bash session) your game at some point. As I've learned the hard way, at times it's justified.

That's all I've got. Good luck!

Offline DerxwnaKapsyla

• Administrator
  • A Member group
  • What is development and how do I game
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:32:44 PM »
Lex basically covered everything I could say, but I do want to expand on a few things.

Scope is important. Knowing your limits is important. Is it your first project? Don't set yourself an over ambitious goal such as "I'm going to include the 7 Regions + Gensokyo and my own fan region". First and foremost, that's impossible, as RPG Maker XP only has 999 available map slots, and even if you cram all interiors for a city/town into one map for that city/town, you're left using aprox 100 maps a region, that doesn't even include Dungeons and exteriors and other unaccounted for maps. Secondly, it's too much work. As you noticed in World Link, Java was literally a region of Lv.100s with no real challenge to it, just Numbers(TM). You'd hit cap by the second region, guaranteed, then you have to work with Level 100s for another 6 regions, and that's just no fun. There's so many things here from experience.

In a nutshell, don't make the game too long. It's a death certificate you sign for your project, and makes you weary. For a project, start small. Plan one region - or, hell, plan a sub-region. Make the game have a concrete beginning and ending. Know what you want, don't go planning things that are outside your skill set. Basically, look at Faith & Prayer Version, take a good hard look at it, and think - what are the flaws this game has (Because it absolutely has flaws). That link that Lex posted is a good place to look at feedback from someone who has probably never made a game before, and thus has no idea how hard it is completely rails on a game.

But above all, like lex said, have fun working on it. If at any point is stops being fun for an extended period of time, ask yourself - "Is the final result really worth slogging through all this tedium?" Primarily, you should make it for yourself, not for anyone else (Unless it's like, a present or something). Make the kind of game you would enjoy, one that appeals to you. The opinions of others can help shape the game, and provide feedback as to the game's direction, but what's the point in making something you won't enjoy and aren't enjoying?
I do the 2humons in RMXP

Offline Fatih

• A Member group
  • You won't pass! For their sake, I will prevail!!
    • View Profile
    • The Mountain of Fatih (CURRENTLY DOWN)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 01:33:04 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'd say that my selling point would be the story. The gameplay itself wouldn't be difficult. I think I would put a low curve in difficulty, but hey, maybe I can make some good challenges. I haven't thought about post-game much, but I think I could throw in some hidden but fun exploration locations. I hope for the game to at least be 4 or 5 hours long for a new player. Dunno if it's short or long, your pick. And yes, this may technically be my first project. I personally don't believe that I'm shooting too high, because once again, I'm focusing on the plot involving the puppets.

Finally, I believe if I happen to get the time to make it, then I will have fun designing it, with my friends encouraging me along with it.

I'll think about the idea more.