Author Topic: Assist Chen Analysis  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Doesnt

• much sand. wow.
  • A Member group
  • ***************************************************************************************
    • View Profile
Assist Chen Analysis
« on: January 23, 2015, 05:59:25 PM »

Assist Chen
Type: Wind/Earth
Stats: 60 HP, 50 FAtk, 85 FDef, 80 SAtk, 85 SDef, 120 Speed
Ability: Niche (Adaptability) or Adverse Winds (Arena Trap)

The Obvious Set
Item: Good Earrings (Choice Specs)
Ability: Adverse Winds
Mark: Green (+Speed) or Black (+SAtk)
PP: 64 SAtk, 2 SDef, 64 Speed
-Godspeed Air Raid
-Waves of Earth
-Lightning Speed/Chrome Ray
-Puppet's Grudge

After 1.8's fun meta with no trappers besides Wobby, we now embrace the return of Dugtrio. Assist Chen's ability stops puppets from fleeing unless they are Wind-type or have Air Cushion. Combined with 120 Speed and Specs, this makes her a solid revenge killer able to ensure offensive threats stay dead. But why stop there...?

Literally Satan on Crack
Item: Healing Charm (Lum Berry)
Ability: Adverse Winds
Mark: Green (+Speed)
PP: 64 SAtk, 2 SDef, 64 Speed
-Godspeed Air Raid
-Encourage
-Brave Song
-Rising Sun/Barrier Option

Usage is simple; come in on any status or Earth move used by something with less than 120 base Speed, then use Encourage (Encore) to keep them locked into it while Adverse Winds (Arena Trap) keeps them from switching. Then use your latter two moves to boost up. Brave Song is needed to get you +6 SAtk; the choice between Rising Sun and Barrier Option depends on whether you fear scarfers and fastmons or priority spam more. Works well with momentum users to get her in safely, and puppets that are weak to Earth.

Checks: Putting Shed Shell on stuff works, but you only get one so try not to make the other 5 mons on your team weak to trapping. Keeping Power Aya or a Smooth Sailing Mystia form in reserve stops her from sweeping, but doesn't prevent her from doing her job of trapping and eliminating key puppets. (Also you can probably bulk creep Power Aya...especially if Kee Berry is around)

tl;dr: stall is fuckin' dead lmao
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:55:11 AM by Doesnt »
i accidentally deleted your avatar so have 90 stars instead ~agastya

Offline Wingshadow

• A Member group
    • View Profile
Re: Assist Chen Analysis
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:42:16 AM »
Any water or steel priority moves would probably cause Assist Chen problems. She is also difficult to switch in against teams that do not rely on either earth moves or status-inflicting moves. With the heavy influence of wind-type puppets, she may also find it difficult to find suitable trapping targets. The first set does work as a solid revenge killer, however.

Offline decondelite

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 03:19:33 PM »
I agree with the fact that Assist Chen is a real monster.
She's one of my key elements to wipe everything in the "elite four".

The "Niche" ability can be pretty interesting if you want to be a bit more of an all-rounder that packs heavy damage without needing to pierce barriers, and if you know that your opponent is going to be using Wind types anyway.

For the item, I'm more for using an Art of Combat to raise the damage when piercing a barrier. At least I've set up my Assist Chen like this:
Ability: Niche
Item: Art of Combat
Skills: Mist Fog, Nature 95/100
Waves of Earth, Ground 95/100
Godspeed Air Raid, Air 80/100
Chrome Ray, Steel 80/100
And of course Spread Attack and Speed maxed out, the last two EVs being spent in the HPs.
But in all cases, having her regenerating HPs is a big no-no for me. Regenerating HP is for tanky puppets.

Offline FlareKyn

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 09:44:21 AM »
Name: Trina
Mark: Green
HP: S Rank 2 EVs
FoAtk: S Rank 0 EVs
FoDef: S Rank 0 EVs
SpAtk: S Rank 64 EVs
SpDef: S Rank 0 EVs
Speed: S Rank 64 EVs
Skill 1: Wind Wave (Flinch)
Skill 2: Godspeed Air Raid (Flinch)
Skill 3: Night Wind (Cherry Tap, I guess)
Skill 4: Prank (Half your HP is gone :P)
Item: None (yet)

What do you think?

Offline decondelite

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 03:07:04 PM »
That Prank is only a troll for yourself actually, as you're most likely off for more than the opponent's HP by having an all-rounder Chen.

Offline Greenmittenz

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 11:51:43 PM »
Name: Trina
Mark: Green
HP: S Rank 2 EVs
FoAtk: S Rank 0 EVs
FoDef: S Rank 0 EVs
SpAtk: S Rank 64 EVs
SpDef: S Rank 0 EVs
Speed: S Rank 64 EVs
Skill 1: Wind Wave (Flinch)
Skill 2: Godspeed Air Raid (Flinch)
Skill 3: Night Wind (Cherry Tap, I guess)
Skill 4: Prank (Half your HP is gone :P)
Item: None (yet)

What do you think?
Chen Assist has the best duel offensive typing in the game with Niche to make it that much better so might as well make use of it.

You can pick between 75 power 95% accuracy and 30% flinch or 80 power 100% accuracy but only 20% flinch for your Wind type move. Then pick up Waves of Earth to complete the Wind+Earth Stab. From there you could add in Steel with Chrome Ray for extra coverage as it gives 3 more super effectives or go with Electric in Lightning Speed as a pivot move but with a bit less super effective coverage. Then you got one last move to do whatever with... Smash Spin for traps, Raid for busting sashes and sturdy, Mist Fog as yet another coverage move.

Just to show how OP Wind+Earth is... the ONLY things in the game that do not take at least neutral damage from that combo are Speed Ellen with Air Cushion, Assist Akyuu with Frail Health, and Power Mystia with Smooth Sailing.
Puppet Dance Performance Any% speedrun in 1:42:38 (WR) http://www.twitch.tv/greenmittenz/v/17460931