Author Topic: Touhoumon Purple Shards?  (Read 8345 times)

Offline iMakai

• A Member group
  • Literally just got into 2hu-mons
    • View Profile
Touhoumon Purple Shards?
« on: October 17, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »
hello im new here btw

People say that Touhoumon Purple is one of the best 2hu ROM hacks. I really tried getting into it, but the one thing that upsets me is how you can't evolve a fully-evolved Puppet with a Shard. You can only evolve Chibis.

I know that 1.8 Enchaced didn't have that issue, so why? Do I have an outdated version?
there is going to be something here i think

Offline Amaterasu

• A Member group
    • View Profile
Re: Touhoumon Purple Shards?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 06:03:05 PM »
hello im new here btw

People say that Touhoumon Purple is one of the best 2hu ROM hacks. I really tried getting into it, but the one thing that upsets me is how you can't evolve a fully-evolved Puppet with a Shard. You can only evolve Chibis.

I know that 1.8 Enchaced didn't have that issue, so why? Do I have an outdated version?

1.8 Enhanced is coded so that you can evolve into other forms at will by using the right shards.  Purple isn't; you evolve your Chibi into your form of choice, and you're done.  Simple as that.

I like to believe the reason for this is because in Fire Red (I.E., 1.8 Enhanced), you can't get National Pokedex evolutions until you get the National Pokedex in the post game, whereas Emerald has no such restriction.  But that's just my personal, unresearched theory on the matter.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:05:11 PM by Amaterasu »

Offline iMakai

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 10:09:03 AM »
1.8 Enhanced is coded so that you can evolve into other forms at will by using the right shards.  Purple isn't; you evolve your Chibi into your form of choice, and you're done.  Simple as that.

I like to believe the reason for this is because in Fire Red (I.E., 1.8 Enhanced), you can't get National Pokedex evolutions until you get the National Pokedex in the post game, whereas Emerald has no such restriction.  But that's just my personal, unresearched theory on the matter.

Huh. That's too bad. I really wanted to evolve all the Puppets in my party, but it seems I will need to catch their Chibi forms, evolve them with a shard, and train them all over again.

Thanks for the info anyway!

Offline Mille

• Administrator
  • A Member group
    • View Profile
    • oh no its a website
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 02:39:13 AM »
Hello. I apologize for the late reply.

The thing about using a stone to evolve an already-evolved puppet is that its moveset is preserved, allowing you to get movesets you normally shouldn't be able to get, such as Aeroblast on Attack Utsuho. I know it feels like a weak reason, but I just don't want to make the game too much easier than I've already made it over time.

Basically, it goes against my vision, and I'm stubborn.
[6:30:51] DoctorShanks: Is Star Sapphire actually good or do people just use her because she's cute? Or both?
[6:30:55] Irisorchid: both
[6:30:57] &Agastya: both
[6:30:59] PrinnyAce: BOTH

Offline Drewko

• A Member group
  • Hi! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 10:40:36 AM »
And, if i recall correctly - In "Vanilla", japanese 1.8 there was not Slide Evolution, except for ATewi to DTewi, and this is preserved in Touhoumon Purple.
It's not that basic evolution are worse, tho. Shard evolutions are just alternative pathes and are not better by definition.

Offline iMakai

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 09:37:10 AM »
Hello. I apologize for the late reply.

The thing about using a stone to evolve an already-evolved puppet is that its moveset is preserved, allowing you to get movesets you normally shouldn't be able to get, such as Aeroblast on Attack Utsuho. I know it feels like a weak reason, but I just don't want to make the game too much easier than I've already made it over time.

Basically, it goes against my vision, and I'm stubborn.

That's actually a pretty fair reason. Indeed, if we were able to just get the movesets of the other forms, the game would be as unbalanced as World Link.

Just shows how well thought out your ROM hack is.