Author Topic: What is TohoFes?  (Read 4700 times)

Offline chaosakita

• A Member group
    • View Profile
What is TohoFes?
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:08:34 AM »
From my understanding, the website is a RPG based off of 1.8 mechanics. Does anyone else explain more?

Offline SoulfulLex

• A Member group
  • Self-Proclaimed Touhoumon Nerd
    • View Profile
    • RMXP Eye Candy
Re: What is TohoFes?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:05:12 AM »
WARNING: Long Post Is Long

The name of the game tohofes hosts is called 東方玉神楽, or roughly Tōhō-dama kagura (Dama meaning Ball, Kagura being a form of Music performed in Shinto played as entertainment for the gods). Personally, I call it "Divine Festival".

As you mentioned, it is an online RPG based on Touhoumon 1.8. However, there are quite a few differences.

1. The Type Chart is more reflective of Pokemon's prior to Generation 6. Dual types weak to the same type are dealt 3x damage instead of 4x.

2. Whenever anyone registers for the site, they choose your avatar from 4 different characters, two of which are Maribel and Renko. Your starter choices are Chibi Aya (Wind-type, which is basically Flying; fastest puppet and usually recommended for beginners), Chibi Nitori (Water-type; has moves that can inflict passive damage), Chibi Sanae (Divine-type - acts like the Dragon type; most tankish of the starters thanks to resistances and bulky stats), and Chibi Reisen (Reason-type; highest Special Attack of the starters; reasonably fast, acts more like a Glass Cannon, and my starter choice). Once you've chose your avatar and starter, Keine acts as the "professor" and introduces the player to the world of Kodama (what the puppets are called in Tama Kagura).

3. There are no wild Kodama, so there's no real way to grind for battles outside of beating the trainers of whatever dungeon you happen to be in. It's pretty easy to get stuck if you don't watch your party levels.

4. In battle, moves may cost VP, and can be used as long as you have enough VP to use it. Most moves work like they do in Pokemon; they may be physical, special, or status. Same-Type Attack Bonus applies here. Move Slot Syndrome does not (i.e. you can learn more than 4 moves). There may be some moves here and there that cause damage in addition to summoning weather, high powered priority moves, Stealth Rock in the Form of "Tripwire", which as far as I know is exclusive to Alice forms, and even moves that inflict a random status ailment. Kodama can have abilities, but don't usually get them until a certain level. They can even have two abilities after a certain level.

5. Like Pokemon, trainers can have up to 6 in a party. Experience is earned at the end of battle and is given to all Kodama the player owns, regardless of whether or not they've participated in battle.

6. Kodama can hold items in battle. Some of the items that can be held are actually cards that replicate the effects of some Pokemon Items (e.g. Leftovers, Type-Boosting Items, etc.) Card effects vary by the name of the card, which are actually named after Touhou Characters. These cards are obtained randomly most of the time via "Fortune Bags", which carry certain cards depending on the bag's rank. You can't use items in battle, however (so no Potion / Revive Spamming). At least the foe can't, either.

7. To add Kodama to your party, you can "use" the card to make a contract and "summon" the Chibi version of the character. It joins your party at a level equal to the average level of your party.

8. Kodama evolve using Essences instead of shards or by level. So it's entirely possible to have evolved mons at Lv. 15 ~ 20. Most of the time, evolved forms won't share the same typing and will learn moves relevant to the form the Kodama evolves to (not like its much of a surprise). More often than not, you'll end up fighting bosses with evolved Kodama.

9. As far as I know, there are no TMs or Gym Badges to collect. Kodama are fully healed after battle, so there's no "Kodama Center" or anything like that. There IS a shop, however, but they tend to have overpriced merchandise.

10. Effort Values exist to some extent, and they can be assigned by the player. The points required to assign Effort Values can either be earned in battle or by consuming beer.

There are probably a few things missing from here, but that's all I got for now.

If you're planning on trying the game yourself and you're not currently registered, you'll have to wait until January or so, since they've closed off New Registration due to moving servers. I don't play too much anymore due to getting stuck in a really tough dungeon and Yukari kicking my ass every time working on Gaiden. There should be a Japanese Wiki floating around in the interwebs you can look at if you're willing to put up with Google Translate.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:06:57 AM by SoulfulLex »

Offline chaosakita

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:05:28 PM »
Thanks, I really appreciated the writeup!

Offline SoulfulLex

• A Member group
  • Self-Proclaimed Touhoumon Nerd
    • View Profile
    • RMXP Eye Candy
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:58:06 PM »
Some minor news regarding TohoFes:

The original developers not too long ago made a version of the game that is playable on Android Devices. The title of that game is 東方玉霊姫, or Touhou Rei-Hime (lit. Touhou Spirit Princess). I've yet to actually try it out, but from the reviews it seems pretty solid. Maybe there's an Android Developer among us who might be interested in translating it (I wish...)

Check it out here: http://www.tohofes.com/mobile/index.html

If you actually want to try it yourself, Click Here. Just remember that you need an Android device (something running the Android Operating System, like a phone or Tablet). As far as I'm aware, it's free of charge.

Offline ZXNova

• A Member group
  • Life is an explosion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 05:06:40 AM »
Actually that's Touhou Gyoku-Rei-Hime, or Gyoku-Rei-Ki (I think it's the latter). Which literally means Touhou Jeweled Spirit Princess. Just to FTFY.