Author Topic: [WIP]Yukari  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Voltex

• A Member group
    • View Profile
[WIP]Yukari
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:37:47 PM »
WIP: Grammar mistakes, list of Counters is incomplete and there is no list of Support Puppets yet, most sets and EV spreads need testing.
Also, this is my first attempt at writing a Moveset, so I apologize in beforehand if I am doing something wrong.

Yukari

Type: Reason
Resistances: Dream, Faith, Miasma
Weaknesses: Dark, Ghost, Heart

Base Stats:
HP: 90
Atk: 75
Def: 125
Spd: 70
Sp.Atk: 75
Sp.Def: 125

Overview:
The Youkai of Borders. I don't know if I am the only one, but when I know that Yukari is in a fan game, I expect her to have defensive traits, and effectively, here she has an interesting, if not impressive, 90/125/125 bulk and yet balanced offensive stats. She also has access to Mana Charge and Curse, allowing her to perform either as an specialized or mixed wall. Although she cannot learn any instant recovery move to support her stats, she learns both Rest and Sleep Talk, which keeps her healthy, free of status effects and active while sleeping.

However, like with all Puppets, Yukari has her disadvantages. To start with, her defenses aren't high enough to withstand STAB super-effective hits from aggressive sweepers before she sets up. And since she relies on setting up, she is vulnerable to Taunt and Phazing, and opposing Puppets can take advantage of it by setting themselves up and/or placing hazards/weather.

Ability:
Barrier: Prevents stat reductions. This is the only Ability Yukari can have, but it is not a bad one. While stat reduction moves are not widely used, Barrier will stop reductions from Intimidate and secondary effects from offensive moves, allowing her to set up without the fear of losing the boosts. It also goes really well with Rest, keeping her free of both status effects and stat reductions.

Mana Charge Wall
Yukari @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold (+Def; -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
-Mana Charge
-Mana Burst
-Rest
-Sleep Talk/Dream Eater/Snore

This is the set I believe is the best for Yukari. Switch into a Puppet that doesn't carry any STAB super-effective move against Reason-type and start Charging Mana. When your HP is at half or less, go to sleep or attack with a boosted Dream Eater to recover HP.
I know that a first glance Snore seems more of a gimmick, but the Yukari I have tested uses this move and it surprisingly has given me good results: Snore, as a Dream-type move, conveniently covers the types that resist Reason, allowing Yukari to hit anything that would otherwise wall her (except Puppets with type combinations that resist both Dream and Reason, of course). In addition, if Yukari happens to be faster than the opponent, there will be the chance of flinching.
You could play around with EVs on Sp.Atk to help with Yukari's 75 Base Sp.Atk, but she might do well with full investment on Def.
For instance, my Yukari test has 252 HP/132 Def/120 Sp.Atk (for a total of 350 DEF with 31 Def IVs) and she seems to do well.

Other options:
ChestoRest: If you don't want to dedicate a move slot to Rest-dependent moves like Snore and Sleep Talk, you can resort to Chesto Berry+Rest for a single-use full heal and leave the space to Dream Eater or even Energy Ball for coverage.
Toxic/Detect/Trick/Yawn/Magic Coat: All those moves can allow Yukari to take the role of Staller or Annoyer, but I think you bring the most from her with a set-up build.
Mana Charge+Dream Eater: If you don't like the idea of relying on Rest for recovery, you can combine these moves. BUT, I want to point out that Defense Yukari might be a better choice for that build, whose stat spread and STAB on Dream Eater further support this move combination.
Curse:You can build a physical version of Yukari with Curse, investment on Sp.Def, Careful Nature (+Sp.Def; -Sp.Atk) and using Psycho Cut instead of Mana Burst. However, the set would be weaker than the Special version since Curse will be lowering Speed, Psycho Cut has less Base Power, and the only other physical attacks Yukari can learn is Earthquake and Poison Jab (the former not being that bad actually).

Counters:
With her Ghost/Dark typing, Mima resists Reason, Dream and Dark so she should be able to handle Yukari without problems. She also has high Sp.Atk and STAB to hit Yukari hard and force her to Rest if she wants to survive another hit.
If my calculations are correct:
Dark Pulse from
Modest (+Sp.Atk; -Atk) and 252 Sp.Atk EVs Mima
vs.
Bold (+Def; -Atk) Yukari with 252 HP EVs and no Sp.Def EVs:
261-307 damage --> 67.9-79.9% of HP taken.

if Yukari happens to be specially defensive: Calm (+Sp.Def; -Atk), 252 HP/252 Sp.Def EVs:
196-231 damage ---> 51%-60% of HP taken.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:22:30 PM by Voltex »

Offline joshcja

• A Member group
  • Burn Yo Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP]Yukari
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 04:06:51 AM »
Yukari will miss coverage on most of her counters no matter what coverage she runs as a rest CM set. The curse set is almost useable though her lack of a useful stab leaves it feeling lackluster.

Keep in mind that reason is a less than stellar defensive typing in touhoumon so the ability to hit hard without needing 4+ boosts is invaluable. (for reference shingyoku F needs +5-6 on base 100 SpAtk to even dent aki sisters)

Yukari has a really annoying niche as a dual screen trick supporter though.

I think I used something like this when I was trying to make her useful in standard play.

Yukari @ Choice band/macho brace/Witch Costume
Ability: magic barrier
Ev's 252 hp/252 Spatk
Modest nature (+spatk - spdef)
-Trick
-Psyco Boost
-Light screen
-Reflect

Alternately if your team is already bulky on the physical or special side to not need one of the screens she has a nice status pool. Or just run status over trick I guess?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:22:11 PM by joshcja »

Offline Voltex

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »
I agree: coverage is a problem, because even if you go for Snore, you still have to play around your own Sleep states to attack with either Snore or Mana Burst.

I thought in Dual Screens too, but while discussing Yukari in Shoddy a couple of days ago, I was told that you want fast Puppets for the job, and clearly Yukari is not the fastest Puppet around.

Anyway, I had been thinking lately that Yukari would work well as an Staller, with a set similar to yours but replacing Psycho Boost for Toxic and defensive EVs and Nature. However, I have not tested such set yet so I won't to include it in the original post until I do so.

Now that you mention Psycho Boost, I think I should include it in "Other Options" since it is a powerful move that can be used to compensate Yukari's average Sp.Atk, or, as you suggest, invest in Sp.Atk and use it as Yukari's main move. Lastly, it could be used in Curse builds for the surprise factor and to deal decent damage to physical walls that might attempt to stop Yukari.

Offline shai_LP

• A Member group
  • aaaaaaaaaaa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
Yeah there are a couple of people who can dualscreen + trick. But Yukari is easiest the more durable out of all of them

Hatate
Technical Hatate
Sakuya
Technical Sakuya
Helper Sakuya
Helper Letty
Advent Tewi
Mamizou [unofficial]

Yukari is the only thing here with a defense stat worth mentioning [Arguably AdvTewi and Hatate Forms are more sustainable via Slack Off/Roost but..]

You don't need to be fast to set-up screens if you're virtually unkillable in screens.

Offline Voltex

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 08:18:54 PM »
@josh: Forgot to ask: Was the set you posted effective when you tried it? If so, I will include it in the OP.

Offline joshcja

• A Member group
  • Burn Yo Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 08:37:24 PM »
@josh: Forgot to ask: Was the set you posted effective when you tried it? If so, I will include it in the OP.

It did some decent work but its a stupidly niche HO support set so I cant really say its worthy of a spot on the OP.

Offline Voltex

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
I see. I'm considering in testing it to see how well she does or what can be done to fix it. For instance, at first glance I would drop Trick and give her Leftovers to increase her durability, and fill the remaining move slot with Detect or another support move.

P.D.: I noticed you use the acronyms "HO" and "POS"; what do they stand for? I have my guesses like "High Offensive" for the first one,  but I want to be sure.

Offline joshcja

• A Member group
  • Burn Yo Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »
I see. I'm considering in testing it to see how well she does or what can be done to fix it. For instance, at first glance I would drop Trick and give her Leftovers to increase her durability, and fill the remaining move slot with Detect or another support move.

P.D.: I noticed you use the acronyms "HO" and "POS"; what do they stand for? I have my guesses like "High Offensive" for the first one,  but I want to be sure.

HO = hyper offence

POS = Piece of shit