Author Topic: RNG manipulation thread  (Read 8534 times)

Offline 2Points

• A Member group
    • View Profile
Re: RNG abuse thread
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 08:26:15 AM »
-To figure out your initial seed, hit CTRL+P to pause THPP Emerald, hit CTRL+R to reset it, and then use CTRL+N to advance the frame to exactly Frame 13. The 4 digit hexadecimal number shown on Frame 13 is your seed that you must enter into the RNG Reporter.

Ah, I see. This makes things much clearer - the seed is supposed to be four digits long. I have been confused for a while because whenever I forwarded to frame 13, the seed displayed was eight digits long. Now, after a bit of pondering, I found that this was because I was using the latest available VBA-rr relase - v24r440, while you're using v22. Here, the seed comes around at frame 6, for whatever reason.

I also found that using the Lua script posted on page two of the aforementioned thread (post 16) uses a different approach to counting frames (the poster is talking about "RNG frames" instead of video frames) that seems to be much more reliable. Instead of using the frame numbers that VBA-rr shows in its head-up display, you simply rely on the frame that is printed by the Lua script. So, following this approach, the seed appears at RNG frame 5 in my version. If you run the emulator for a bit, the actual video frame and the RNG frame deviate after a short while. For example, at video frame 8865, the RNG frame is already at 9497. This RNG frame, however, seems to correspond exactly with the frame number that is listed by RNGReporter.

Using CMinoriko and Nature Power, the duration of the animation seems to be exactly 257 frames for me (outside, if that matters). So, it might be reasonable to suggest that everyone else does some counting for himself instead of relying on numbers others found.

Getting something decent is still hard (well, if restarting the emulator and waiting counts as hard), unless you limit your IVs to two or three.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:38:25 PM by 2Points »

Offline SG-Sanae

• A Member group
  • Sanae is a good girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »
Small question: Does the RNG tool help me find a frame at which throwing a Pokéball will guarantee me a capture?

Offline DoctorShanks

• :coolguys:
  • A Member group
    • View Profile
    • dumblr
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »
Small question: Does the RNG tool help me find a frame at which throwing a Pokéball will guarantee me a capture?

I dunno. If there is then I don't see it. Make a save state at the start of the battle so that if you fail the capture, you can try again and again.

Offline DoctorShanks

• A Member group
    • View Profile
    • dumblr
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:37 PM »
Recently I've been having a problem with Methods jumping around for Fire Red wilds. This has never happened to me before, and I'm trying to find out what I'm doing differently. I've even forgotten what method I've normally been using. I think it was Method H-4, but for some reason it's jumping between all three. Does anyone else have this problem?

Disregard. I've been consistently hitting method H-1 spreads on Fire Red with the occasional H-4 here and there; nothing too frustrating.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:48:17 AM by DoctorShanks »

Offline ZXNova

• A Member group
  • Life is an explosion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
Is there some sort of encounter table for the puppets in this game?
Or is there some other way to know a puppets encounter slots?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 05:43:45 PM by ZXNova »

Offline DoctorShanks

• A Member group
    • View Profile
    • dumblr
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 06:18:24 PM »
Is there some sort of encounter table for the puppets in this game?
Or is there some other way to know a puppets encounter slots?

I've been using AdvanceMap to find out my Encounter Slots. If you want to go with that, just be careful not to save the ROM.

Maybe i'll put together a list of the Encounter Slots for FR someday.

Offline ZXNova

• A Member group
  • Life is an explosion!
    • View Profile
Re: RNG manipulation thread
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 01:34:48 AM »
I've been doing it the old fashion kind of way, I know the encounter table for the puppets on in Meteor Falls 1F, at least. http://i.imgur.com/lM5jGf0.png

Offline Maltie

• A Member group
    • View Profile
Re: RNG manipulation thread
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »
Wow... That CKogasa... Just... Wow.
Why can't all boneka be like that?