Poll

Is the order the wiki uses (putting Spd inbetween Def and Sp.Atk) annoying or not?

Not really, it's good the way it is.
I don't care either way.
Kinda, but I think I've gotten used to it.
Yeah, it always ends up confusing me.
What are you talking about.

Author Topic: Order of stats used in the wiki (Spd)  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Naï

• A Member group
  • In training
    • View Profile
Order of stats used in the wiki (Spd)
« on: August 01, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
So yeah, exactly what the title and poll say.

The wiki uses the order HP/Atk/Def/Spd/Sp.Atk/Sp.Def in all of the tables which require base stat information (one major example is the Touhoudex). That's because that's how it appears in the game data.

However, that could be confusing for new people who are used to Pokemon, because most major Pokemon sites - Smogon, Bulbapedia and Serebii, to name a few - instead opt for the order HP/Atk/Def/Sp.Atk/Sp.Def/Spd. To those new people, the stat order used right now looks completely out of place.

That includes me. I'm not trying to nitpick, I'm saying this because the order honestly confuses me.

So I was thinking of changing it.

I'd handle the manual labor, no problems there. However, the wiki isn't mine for me to do as I please. Hence the poll, to hear out everyone's opinions (or attempt to, at least).

I think the current community could probably do without the inversion, but... the problem is for the new players. I plan on trying to bring in more people and doing some advertisement here and there (that includes advertising the wiki itself as a THPP reference), but if a mass of new players DOES come and see that strange order, some might be put off by it.

That's the main reason I'm in favor of changing the order, and I think it's an agreeable reason for everyone else as well.

tl;dr: the stat order the wiki uses right now is strange and would look almost random for new players used to Pokemon, so I wanted to change it and hear out your opinions about it.

Offline DoctorShanks

• :coolguys:
  • A Member group
    • View Profile
    • dumblr
Re: Order of stats used in the wiki (Spd)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:44:17 AM »
If the Agastya and the ExSariel don't mind then yeah go for it. The thing is, that stat order is the same order that Shoddy uses. So it would be a great addition to the wiki for new players or Touhoumon players wishing to look up this Touhoudex in general. If they decide to play Shoddy, it'll look a bit weird but everyone gets used to it :)

After reading the thread I voted "I don't care, either way."

Offline Naï

• A Member group
  • In training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:41:46 AM »
So... I got both Agastya's and EXSariel's okay.

I think the result is that it's something that should be done, after all. I'll start working on it as soon as I'm finished on the more important stuff, then, like fixing the page sprites and adding alternate forms/type effectiveness tables.

Nobody seems to be against it, either... not that there's much reason to be against it :<

Offline Enoh-polyx

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 11:41:50 PM »
I for one would prefer seeing speed being the latter among the stats. It appears a little less confusing, IMO, but that might as well be due to me having played a lot of the most recent pokemon games. The earlier games in the series (which I've played a lot lately) uses the current order. That being said it's far from alian to me.

TLDR; I don't mind the way it looks currently, but:

Hp/att/def/sp.a/sp.d/spe

Looks more clean:)

Offline artsandcrafts

• A Member group
  • penis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:39:25 AM »
Speed should always be last, that's how it is in the games.

I've been dealing with it anyways.

"Speed should be first because it's fast."

Offline Rhetco

• A Member group
  • Waaaaaaahh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 05:47:32 AM »
We're already in the process of switching around the stat order, so yeah I guess no one has to vote on the poll thing anymore.
One day I'll be famous for all the amazing things I've achieved. But until then, I'm going to continue doing absolutely nothing.

Offline Naï

• A Member group
  • In training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:47:44 AM »
ITS DOOOOOOOONE

Well, at least the biggest and most tiring part of it, which was adapting the Touhoudex. Rhet's working on changing the order on the puppet pages (as well as... everything else on those same pages, really :< ), while I'll start working soon on the moves' pages.

You can check the new Touhoudex here, altho there shouldn't really there be much difference visually, lol.

I also had to adapt the coding before actually changing the order, since it was 345673454584534783,9 pages long (and there was a much cleaner way of organizing the code), and because changing the order with the old code would be a complete pain and take approximately 19 hours without sleep or eating to be done by hand.

I only did a brief double-check of the whole code adaptation, so there might still be a small mistake here and there. Please warn me or Rhet if you happen to come across one, but there shouldn't be any left, really.

Other than that, the order change itself was double-checked very thoroughly, and I can guarantee there were no mistakes in it. The chance I happened to miss anything on that part is, uh, 0,0000000001%? Yeah, that's about right.

You might ask: "but why the heck were you working on something so boring if we're supposed to have different priorities?"

Well, the main reason is: changing the Touhoudex code this early will make changing the move and ability pages a lot easier. Much of the move/ability pages' coding is shared with the Touhoudex's (barring Cost), so we usually end up using it as a copypasta reference. This just makes everything more convenient.

Besides, it's something that had to be done eventually, you know.
Either way, ITS DONE DAMMIT, TONIGHT WE DINE IN SHODDY HALL

Offline Rhetco

• A Member group
  • Waaaaaaahh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:51:19 AM »
Congrats. Now get back to work, and no breaks ever.
One day I'll be famous for all the amazing things I've achieved. But until then, I'm going to continue doing absolutely nothing.

Offline Naï

• A Member group
  • In training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 01:00:55 AM »
No way, it's nighttime already and I gotta get home. In fact I'll already be damn late if I leave right now, let alone if I work more :<

Offline chaosakita

• A Member group
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 04:14:45 AM »
I can't wait, I always got annoyed at the order of the stats.